In this period of global pandemic as the scare of COVID-19 continue to rise, the need for hand sanitizer continues to increase. Therefore, finding hand sanitizers in stores is becoming difficult. But do not worry, I bring you good news: you can make your own hand sanitizer at home with just a few ingredients.
Hand sanitizers is the quickest way to take some germs out of your hands. However, I want you to know that the most efficient way to prevent corona virus is by washing your hands regularly with soap and water. According to CDC, soap and water are more effective than hand sanitizers at removing some germs. While washing your hands, allow the water to run on your hands for about 20 seconds. Eat foods that will help boost your immune system. Avoid touching your face especially your eyes, mouth and nose. Practice social distancing. This is really important in order to curtail the spread of this virus.
“Now let’s get down to how to make your own hand sanitizers if it becomes really necessary”
To make hand sanitizers, you need:
- 2/3 cups of 99% (isopropyl) alcohol
- 1/3 cups of 100% aloe vera gel
- 8-10 drops of essential oil for smell
- Empty clear container, liquid soap or hand sanitizer container
- Bowl and spoon
A very important step in making hand sanitizer is to stick to a 2:1 alcohol to aloe vera proportion. This helps to keep the alcohol content around 60% as recommended by CDC.
- Pour the alcohol, aloe vera and essential oil into a bowl and mix with a spoon. Remember to stay away from fire when doing this because alcohol is flammable. Also wear gloves while making the hand sanitizer.
- After mixing, use a funnel to pour the mixture into a clear container and properly label it HAND SANITIZER.
And viola! You have your homemade hand sanitizer.
WARNINGS OF MAKING YOUR HAND SANITIZERS
As you can see, it is very easy to make hand sanitizer at home but at the same time, you need to pay attention to these warnings so as to avoid mishaps and preferably, avoid home made hand sanitizers, wash your hands instead:
- Keep the alcohol content around 60% to avoid burning your skin. Do this by keeping to the 2:1 proportion.
- Only use homemade hand sanitizers in extreme situation when hand washing is really impossible.
- Hand sanitizers last for only 2 minutes after which it must be reapplied when recontamination occurs.
- Avoid using homemade sanitizers on children skin as they may misuse it and that can lead to skin damage.
Remember, hand sanitizer is not all you need to stay safe this period. Wash your hands regularly. And please stay safe as we hope for this crisis to come to an end soon.